Pioneer SCLX75 & SCLX85 Owner's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jazz G,

I Set up Av for a living, concerts and large media events. Yes big black boxes with XLR cables. So I plug somtig into A and tell it to go to B. then i can spend time ringing out and setting up video screens.

OK it has been a few years since setting up home AV but last time it was easy. Full control no issues.

NOT the lx75. its mad at how complex they have made such a simple job. Dont even supply full user manual with the system you have to download it and print it out! The user manual that comes with the sytem is next to usless, Who could have such a simplistic sytem to only need that~? seriously ?
So have at last printed out the 120 page actual manual (for £1500 would expect this to come as standard rather than the basic one in chinese and portugese??!!) fisrt time using pioneer and missing my denon already. At least they printed EVERYTHING out in the language they shipped it in!

However it does sound good ;-) so i will forgive it .

Come on David eagerly awaiting your view on your new 85
Not really tried anything to give it a good work out yet, other than maybe Drive Angry, which sounded great. I need to really try something I know, but it'll have to be next week now as I'm away over the weekend. From what I've heard so far, the 85 seems to sound better balanced after an auto setup. I did one a few days before my 83 got picked up by it's new owner, and once again, it sounded to me like the rear speakers were a little high. The rear speaker setting on the 85 seems far more balanced, and don't draw as much attention to themselves.

I'll have a good listen on Tuesday and Wednesday night with something meaty... :devil:

Hooked up my LX75 today, only to find out that it is missing analog multichannel inputs. I just spent money on a Nuforce NX upgrade for my Oppo 93, thats money well spent. How is it possible that a receiver that cost this kind of money doesn't have analog multichannel outputs??? My old Yamaha RX-V3800 has it. Even says on Pioneers site in the specs that the 75 is supposed to have multich input. I'm confused...

Edit. Meant input not output.

Last edited:
SLK320 said:
Hooked up my LX75 today, only to find out that it is missing analog multichannel outputs. I just spent money on a Nuforce NX upgrade for my Oppo 93, thats money well spent. How is it possible that a receiver that cost this kind of money doesn't have analog multichannel outputs??? My old Yamaha RX-V3800 has it. Even says on Pioneers site in the specs that the 75 is supposed to have multich output. I'm confused...

It's one of the key differences between the 75 and 85. The 75 only has multichannel outputs (meaning you can use separate power amps), while the 85 also adds the multichannel inputs (allowing you to connect your modded oppo, for example). Only real option is to see if your dealer will let you trade it in for the 85?

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with setup? Basic swicthing really, speakers and phasing and all is cool and easy peasy but setting up basix switching seems to ... well just not there? Am i missing somthing here?

If one of you knows pionners well and does not mind a few private messages to help out an old fool that would be great.

MO

muddyone said:
Hi All,

Can anyone help me with setup? Basic swicthing really, speakers and phasing and all is cool and easy peasy but setting up basix switching seems to ... well just not there? Am i missing somthing here?

If one of you knows pionners well and does not mind a few private messages to help out an old fool that would be great.

MO

Wouldn't call myself an expert but my new 75 is my second pioneer, so happy to try and help.

Rob

Well i went for a demo on a 85 and wow sounds great... Plenty of power.. so a bit of saving & il have one.. Even the missis was like.. Now that sounds good. :)

hey

finally got to set mine up yesterday and the sound compared to my SCLX81 is awesome!
a whole magnitude of clarity and power again which i was worried about as going from the ax10i to the sclx81 was not as great a difference as id expected. only really had time to connect everything up and plug it in and calibrate it so got loads more to play with and discover.
had inception going as a tester and it was pretty phenomenal - a meaty sound which it i think the 81 lacked somewhat.

i heard the lx85 after - i believe - it had been incorrectly set up and was sorely disappointed. I havent lost faith however and will wait to hear it when they have time to do a full set-up rather than the rushed job i heard which made it sound quite poor. They really didnt do it justice and lost a lot of credibility when they started to make outlandish statements about how good it sounded in comparison to another receiver which made it feel more of a sales pitch than a genuine demo.

Had a demo of the 85 on Friday. I was using House Of Flying Daggers as it's a film I know quite well. The bits I was expecting to be good were ok ("The Echo Game") but not anything extraordinary. But there were other sections with more subtle sounds that just came to life, for example the chase through the bamboo forest was spectacular, the sound of the rustling leaves was amazingly realistic.

So it should be arriving on Wednesday, but it'll probably be about a week before I can get it setup. Then I'll be giving it some real testing.

I had no idea they were so disorganised as others haeve mentioned them on avforums. I took my own receiver to compare it with and they were setting up the 85 when i got there. It sounded average so after several failed attempts at making it sound reasonable, they asked me to come back in half an hour so i went for a walk. When i came back it still didnt sound right at all, something that they admitted to and asked me to come back another day. It was all a bit of a waste of time really

I don't think there's much point in demoing an AV receiver that's not been set up properly.

I'm thinking of getting a new receiver and one of these pioneers was one of the ones I was looking at. I've heard people say that the digital ice power amps are supposed to be good at handling difficult load speakers. does that mean they're fine with 4 Ohm speakers?

Also, one of the reasons the 85 seems to be more expensive is the highly expensive RF remote it comes with. being as I use a harmony remote anyway (and have no use for the multichannel in) I'm think that there's little advantage to me in getting the 85?

David

I had no idea they were so disorganised as others haeve mentioned them on avforums. I took my own receiver to compare it with and they were setting up the 85 when i got there. It sounded average so after several failed attempts at making it sound reasonable, they asked me to come back in half an hour so i went for a walk. When i came back it still didnt sound right at all, something that they admitted to and asked me to come back another day. It was all a bit of a waste of time really
That sounds a bit of a mess! I don't think it's good to ask a customer who has booked in for a demo to come back another day though.... :facepalm:

I don't think there's much point demoing a complex AV receiver anywhere other than with one's own equipment in one's own room at home.

I've just spent the weekend trying to get a new SCLX85 to sound as good as my old LX60 using miked MCACC and was about to despair before I finally decided to copy all the EQ and SW settings from the 60 to the 85. Luckily I had written them all down before I sold it.

The result is at last an improvement......the clarity, punch and soundfield is back and its also more dynamic. But MCACC seems very hit and miss to me.

One of the large chains (begins with an S - town in Kent!) is happy to lend you a demo unit for a few days on a sale or return basis if you pay on a debit card.

That's got to be the best option.

I was just wondering if anybody had the chance to test the airplay functionality of the LX75 or 85 yet? I was wondering if it was audio only or also supported video to a connected display.
Seems a nice 'quick and dirty' feature to show pictures from a phone or iPad on the big screen. Up to now I have only seen functionality with regard to audio and not video.

HiRez said:
I was just wondering if anybody had the chance to test the airplay functionality of the LX75 or 85 yet? I was wondering if it was audio only or also supported video to a connected display.
Seems a nice 'quick and dirty' feature to show pictures from a phone or iPad on the big screen. Up to now I have only seen functionality with regard to audio and not video.

I've tried with my 75 and it appears to be audio only, which I was disappointed with, but maybe it will be a future firmware upgrade.

Can any LX75/LX85 owners on here confirm for me whether their units will accept banana plugs without resort to tampering with the binding posts.

Thanks

Hya all,

I'm also in doubt over which Pio to buy, Lx75 or Lx85.
Currently my setup is a Yamaha RXV1900 with Kef Q7's as front speakers, Q6c as center, 4 iQ1's as surrounds and a Kef PSW2500 as sub.
Now to be honest, I like what I have now but I always felt like I was missing the "WOW" factor.
I mostly use it to watch movies on Blu-Ray.
My remote is a Harmony so I'm not having much use for the RF remote.
The thing is that this time I don't want to buy the Lx75 and have regrets later for not paying the extra for the Lx85 ...
But offcourse if, in my setup, it doesn't make any difference it would be a shame to pay €400 more.
Here in Belgium we don't really have the opportunity to test them out at home and send them back if we don't like it.
So what are your thoughts on my dilemma ;-)

Thanks in advance, Jim

Hya all,

I'm also in doubt over which Pio to buy, Lx75 or Lx85.
Currently my setup is a Yamaha RXV1900 with Kef Q7's as front speakers, Q6c as center, 4 iQ1's as surrounds and a Kef PSW2500 as sub.
Now to be honest, I like what I have now but I always felt like I was missing the "WOW" factor.
I mostly use it to watch movies on Blu-Ray.
My remote is a Harmony so I'm not having much use for the RF remote.
The thing is that this time I don't want to buy the Lx75 and have regrets later for not paying the extra for the Lx85 ...
But offcourse if, in my setup, it doesn't make any difference it would be a shame to pay €400 more.
Here in Belgium we don't really have the opportunity to test them out at home and send them back if we don't like it.
So what are your thoughts on my dilemma ;-)

Thanks in advance, Jim
Got almost the exact same setup as you, apart from the subwoofer (Velodyne SPL-1000i) and receiver (Yamaha RX-V3800).
Went for the 75 and it sounds absolutely amazing comapared to the old Yamaha RX-V3900.

Just remember if you need 5.1 analog inputs, get the 85 instead. I made the misstake in getting the 75 that apparently doesn't have these inputs even though Pioneer spec on their site says it does. What's make it even worse for me is that i upgraded my Oppo 93 with Nuforce NX which now is a waste of money.

Has anyone noticed a hum or a whistling coming out of LX-85's power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom