Samsung C650 Owners Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay.2001

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi

anyone has it home already for testing to give us some feedback?

anyone has manual and specifications for this new 2010 lcd from samsung?

what is main performance difference between B650 and C650?

does DTS pass through work over usb finally?

is aspect ratio issues fixed for correct viewing?

thanks for input :lease:

I think these are just out now in the UK. Amazon show the 32C650 as in stock and Play say out tomorrow.

The user guide went up on Samsung UK site 2 days ago (here). It has DTS core listed as supported for avi and mkv playback (I don't know if this is changed).

I'm keen to get this TV in the next month or so. Would be very interested in any feedback. I expect the sound will be average but the picture great (as per the B650s).

just wondering

does this DNLA mean that i can use the C650 as a wireless monitor for the pc ?

or is it going to me the same old story of hooking up a DVI cable ?

I'm fairly sure that DLNA only works with media player software. So you can send videos via Windows Media Player but not your desktop.

Maybe this is possible and no-one has done it yet.

is aspect ratio issues fixed for correct viewing?

What are the aspect ratio issues? I'm particularly sensitive to visual distortion so that could be a problem for me.

Just got the 37" LCD c650

Mine got delivered from amazon.co.uk within 2 days, via Reliant Direct, there were 2 left in stock.

Paid £644 including express delivery, very reasonable price, in fact I was expecting it be closer to £750 given how much some of the b650t2's were going for last year.

This is my first true full HDTV, previously owned a small 22" HD ready samsung, so I can only offer some feedback of what I have found with this, not compared it to other sets. I use it for everything, DTV, HDTV, PS3, blueRay.

Sorry in advance if my terminology isn't accurate, I work in film VFX and am aware of colour space and gamma, but not too clued up on some of the fancy functions that come with modern sets!

Has a semi matte screen, not glossy, really easy setup. I use the optical out from the set into my altec lansing THX speakers ( computer speakers and processor) so all audio can optionally be via them, as the tv speakers aren't incredible, mainly lack of bass. The PS3 is my blu ray player and games console,

Free DTV looks as expected, pretty good but crunchy, watchable. Free HD channels (BBC,ITV, channel 4) are a mixed bag as always, some ads are obviously filmed digitial at 1080p and look incredible, some shows aren't and you can see the difference. BBC HD looks worse than the others.

Has no wireless built in, I was hoping I could put it on the wireless netowrk at home and test some streaming from PC, and also the samsung internet functions, but not yet. You need to buy a separate wireless samsung adapter. I am gonna use a LAN cable tonight

My settings, based on film experience, I tun off all 'gimmicks' and set this, this made my PS3 games look incredible, very deep blacks. Blu rays looked good, but I kpet getting tempted to tun on the black level to dark or darker. :

Mode : Movie
Contrast : 92
Brightness :44
Digitial NR: off
Colourspace :Auto
WB: normal
Colour : 50
HDMI level : Low (if available ) , blu rays had it disabled only on normal
Backlight : 0-5 depending on time of day
Gamma -1 (very important for the black levels I found)
Sharpness : 0
Edge enchancement : ON
Tone : Warm 2
Motion Plus : Need to know more about this
Auto contrast : OFF
Black Level : OFF (although I felt I had to out this on for bluRays)
White 10p : I need to know more about this before using it
Film Mode : Need to know more about this before using it , seemed to be on by default with blu rays

I would love some help with understanding these topics if anyone has a b650 or c650 and can help me?

• HDMI level, film mode etc get disabled with some inputs and on with others, is this expected? So when I watched Iron Man, the HDMI was greyed out on 'normal', yet when on ps3 games the HDMI can be set to other options.
  • Is motion plus worth using ?
  • I found with bluRays (Iron Man, Wall E) that I needed to turn on the Black level function to dark, or darker to get more punch in the blacks, it was too ambient otherwise, yet with ps3 games, they didn't need it on- can anyone offer advice ?
So far very impressed, but you would assume I am as its my first TV, blacks look good, yet not crunched, no bleed.

hope its useful if anyone wants me to play with some settings and test let me know

Ben

Thanks for that review, can you have a play with media playback?
I'm particularly interested in PAL sourced media files.

If you want a media file to test with, there's a sample file here; http://freespace.virgin.net/jxp.72/WSTest.divx (right click on the link and select Save Target As)

It's a 10-second clip in half PAL resolution (650Kb). It should play in 16:9 and I hope it would fill the screen. There's also a screenshot here of two media players playing the file. The wider player (on the right) is how it should look.

works fine, fills screen at corret aspect ratio in '16:9' mode and 'screen fit' mode

Can I ak what the difference is between avsforums and avforums ? Are they the same things?

works fine, fills screen at corret aspect ratio in '16:9' mode and 'screen fit' mode

Can I ak what the difference is between avsforums and avforums ? Are they the same things?
AVF is a UK forum, AVS is a US based forum, though they cover many of the same topics and some of the makes are the same the models and AV items can and do differ in the different countries, the two forums are not affiliated in anyway...infact you could say they are a competing forum.

So is this still the 'official' thread for owners?, surprisingly few posts.

Anyway, I got my hands on the Avatar bluRay and had some new settings for all my bluRay viewing via PS3

PS3 video settings needed to be configured to ensure only RGB is output, no 'Automatic' settings etc.

Blacks lovely and deep, was a great viewing, and relied on no gimmicks that come with the set. The trick was to ensure the bluRay player is set to full RGB, all best settings on the PS3, and that allowed me to edit the HDMI level (then again, this may be dependant on the disk ?)

Samsung LN37c650

Movie mode
Backlight : 5
Contrast :92
Brightness : 45
Tint :warm 2
Black level : off
Dynamic Contrast : Off
Edge enchancement : Off
HDMI level : low
Gamma : -2
Colour : 50/50
Auto WB
Screen size : Fit
WP 10 level : On (didn't see any difference)
Film mode : disabled (greyed out)
Motion Plus : Did smooth some fast sequences, need to play with this some more

One other point to make is standard mode lets you choose warm2, not just movie mode as I have read about the b650 sets.

Hi
i have been eyeing up the 37" lcd 650 for a few weeks now, and am buying it.
what i wanted to know really is what the speaker sound is like? is it really low or average quality?

you said your using the altec lansing THX speakers with this... does it need to be connected to a pc to work, or can it be connected directly to the tv without going through anything else?

Brother bought one this morning and just checked a MKV on it it plays the dts audio! and it stretches to full screen so no big black borders like on the b650 tellys.

I am interrested by the 37C650, could you tell me wheter your screen is an A or an S. Here I find only A00 screen which looks ok in the shop but it is difficult to predict the behavior in a dark room from what we see in a shop.

I intend to replace an old sony 32 inch which I am happy with but a large dark band in the midle of the screen.

Best Regards
Bruno

How can I check the screen type ? I will look tonight and let you know what type it is if I can.

Yes its proved great for media playback!

There are several sound modes, one of which enables lots of options, and without going into detail here, it sounds pretty good, but lacking bass after I tried them all. The truSurround modes can give you a nice enough sound for digital TV.

Reagrding watching avatar last night on ps3 blu Ray :

The picture was incredible, lush and deep.

My THX altec lansing speakers and processor have optical in, only dolby digital/stereo support, no dts. I do not need a PC to use them. One issue I found, I was watching avatar last night bluRay and noticed the sound going from PS3 optical was delayed behind my picture which was running HDMI, maybe the PS3 converting it to linear PCM delays it. Avatar is DTS only I believe.

My workaround was to enable linear PCM sound from the PS3 via HDMI to samsung tv, and then run the optical out from the Samsung set, and everything was in sync perfectly. If on the ps3 you choose to enable dual optical out and HDMI, the frequency halves, so choose one of the other (I may be wrong on this )

Of course, all my sound was converted linear bitstream from DTS source via the PS3. But this is the limitation of my testing, until I get a new setup.

I have just got an LE40C650. Many improvements on the old B650. Best one for me so far is that it plays video files at the correct aspect ratio from USB using the new "mode 2" picture size menu option.

Hi,is this the new LED c6530 from samsung ?

Last edited:
No, I think your talking about the UE40C6530 which is a lot more expensive.

Anybody able to access the BBC iplayer on the C650 yet?

To check the type of screen, there is a sticker on the right of the panel, with the model, the serial number and that the panel type, which can bu SQ..., A... C... I even see some B.

As here I saw on A panel and your are very happy with your I am interrested in the one you have.

Really pleased with this tv.
Ordered from Amazon, really good price as the B650 was a lot more expensive on release.

Played a HD ripped MKV file through the USB and the quality was just awesome. Disappointed that subtitle files are not supported for .mkv but maybe future update may fix this.

But like the poster above, I can't find the BBC iPlayer app and assumed it was available now.

Anybody else have any more info about this?

I have just got an LE40C650. Many improvements on the old B650. Best one for me so far is that it plays video files at the correct aspect ratio from USB using the new "mode 2" picture size menu option.

Is the aspect ratio also working for playing files over network / DLNA with the LE40C650?

Just looked at the LE37C650 in the shop, and the LE32C650, they both looked great TV's but the 32" had maybe a tiny bit crisper picture, but either way the picture was fantastic on both, at least as good as any of the Sony's, panny's etc

Is the aspect ratio also working for playing files over network / DLNA with the LE40C650?

Yes. Tried it on TV recordings (.mpg) made on my PC. Choose "mode 2" in media play picture size options, this stretches the video to 16:9. Excellent full screen quality using PC Share Manager and even resuming works now! On some video files you get chaptering also.
The "mode1" option keeps to the original pixel resolution and scales up the video uniformly to fit the screen with no stretching, so broadcast TV recordings look squashed with black bands each side.

Last edited:
I've just taken delivery of an LE40C650 but have just found out that it doesn't support automatic aspect ratio switching on the HDMI inputs. A big feature requirement for me. It does appear to be supported when looking at the section in the user manual describing the "Auto Wide" option but it only works on the SCART input (although I've only tried the HDMI and SCART inputs so far).

I did ring up Samsung and they confirmed the situation and it is necessary to manually press the P-Size button on the remote to switch between aspect ratios.

I'm on the latest firmware so unless anyone has any suggestions how to support auto aspect switching or whether the feature is likely to be included in a future firmware update, then it's likely to be returned.

would u be able to check on your C650 if:

1. MKV,AVI files with DTS AUDIO streamed over HDD USB plays finally?
2. you can play second audio track in avi, mkv files also streamed over usb HDD?
3. aspect ratios are finally fixed with mkv,avi files streamed over usb HDD?
4. are u able to play AC3 audio in .TS files (files from HD camcorders MTS,M2TS which u can make it playable by renaming extension from MTS,M2TS to TS)?

+ what is this Mode2 picture size menu? can you explain more please about it? can u choose different aspect ratios?

These have been biggest issues with B650 line previous year...

Last edited:
Are there any reviews for these models anywhere?? I've googled and I can't find anything. Specifically the 32" and 37" models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom