Naval supply ships to be built in S Korea.

BISHI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad news IMHO. The Ship's will be fine - and probably built on time and to budget (more than can be said for most UK built projects) - but ship building itself is an important Defence capability and, with the loss of the MARS contract, will only lead to a further consolidation in UK construction facilities.

Not a good day for British industry - but most of the dockyards are in Labour or Scottish areas so I doubt the Government is bothered.

On the positive side, at least they will be ready in time for the introduction of the Queen Elizabeth class carriers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17127488

HMS HYUNDAI and HMS KIA.

Lovely!!
The ships will operate under the RFA rather than the substantive Navy so won't be HMS.

Last edited:
Do we know why ?

If they are providing better value for money, then we have to ask the British shipyards why that is ?

Perhaps another example of unions pricing ourselves out of business, like they did with our car manufacturing and so many other industries.

Only if you get them serviced at the Dealer :)

:laugh:

Anyone buying a Kia or a Hyundai needs a check up from the neck up anyway - wouldn't been seen dead in one even if they gave me a 20 year warranty; you can't buy class.

:laugh:

Anyone buying a Kia or a Hyundai needs a check up from the neck up anyway - wouldn't been seen dead in one even if they gave me a 20 year warranty; you can't buy class.

Yeah but they are probably not on first name terms with their local mechanic, unlike Alfa owners. ;)

Yeah but they are probably not on first name terms with their local mechanic, unlike Alfa owners. ;)

:mad:

Oh, if only you knew how true that is :laugh:

Definitely a cheap shot Jamezinho :) (snigger)

Speaking as an ex- Kia Sedona owner whose engine blew up because it was made out of Lego. :laugh:

Which is quite ironic as my mechanic used to say it was built like a battleship

The only pity is that they decided to put a Rover designed engine in it

Last edited:
Perhaps another example of unions pricing ourselves out of business, like they did with our car manufacturing and so many other industries.

Who was it that deliberately and cynically forced the closure of the only British Shipyard to deliver 5 MOD contracts in a row on time, on budget and defect free?

Shipbuilding was smashed to pieces in the UK by the Tories. Behaving like a bunch of spoiled brats who had to prove a point. Now we have to go cap in hand to S Korea for stuff that is vital for our defence effort. Its bad enough having to go to our 'allies', but S Korea? :facepalm:

Who was it that deliberately and cynically forced the closure of the only British Shipyard to deliver 5 MOD contracts in a row on time, on budget and defect free?

Shipbuilding was smashed to pieces in the UK by the Tories. Behaving like a bunch of spoiled brats who had to prove a point.

Please explain by which mechanism they achieved this feat ?

Shipbuilding was smashed to pieces in the UK by the Tories. Behaving like a bunch of spoiled brats who had to prove a point. Now we have to go cap in hand to S Korea for stuff that is vital for our defence effort. Its bad enough having to go to our 'allies', but S Korea? :facepalm:

So even if that is accurate, this article that is news today:confused::confused: but actually dates back to 2008, surely Labour could have restored that situation and/or look after the employment market in the UK and engaging to ensure that can be competitively priced.

Do we know why ?

If they are providing better value for money, then we have to ask the British shipyards why that is ?

What is it exactly that you do?

I'll bet it doesn't involve manual graft.

If you have to ask that, it's a pointless discussion.

So what do you do?

Indulge me :)

What do you do ? Apart from supporting the wrong team in Claret & Blue.......

Indulge me :)

What do you do ? Apart from supporting the wrong team in Claret & Blue.......

What is it with you?
I asked you a simple question :confused: yet you evade answering?

Me, no secrets, I'm blue collar skilled with 35 years under my belt.

Now will you answer?

What is it with you?
I asked you a simple question :confused: yet you evade answering?

Me, no secrets, I'm blue collar skilled with 35 years under my belt.

Now will you answer?

Oh, ok, you think that I have no understanding of the working class ? Is that it ? Interesting use of "blue collar", reminds me of the 70s.

I'm a Banker :).

But before you get carried away, a working class one. East London born and bred, dad was a bus driver.

Is that what you want to know ?

Oh, ok, you think that I have no understanding of the working class ? Is that it ? Interesting use of "blue collar", reminds me of the 70s.

I'm a Banker :).

But before you get carried away, a working class one. East London born and bred, dad was a bus driver.

Is that what you want to know ?

I don't think you understand.
I'm being serious.

If you're genuinely a banker, you only deal in figures, which have nothing to do with real life for 99% of the population, who are aiming to pay their weekly bills and that's it.

If you're a banker (and I'm not convinced you are), do you receive an average wage or less?
This answer is important and I'd like an in the ball park answer please.

With respect, what your dad did probably has little to do with anything, if you've never done a stroke of hard work, as much as I respect the fact that he did a very important job.
After all, where would bankers be without the actual money makers to transport them?

And I used "blue collar" specifically for the specific reason that I get down and dirty and earn my paymasters profit.
I'm working class, simple.

And fwiw, I support the original Claret and Blue.
You should find out where you got yours from :)

Please explain by which mechanism they achieved this feat ?

By destroying Swan Hunter. If you want the gory details, use the forums search facility and search for johntheeexpat and swan hunter.:thumbsup:

So even if that is accurate, this article that is news today:confused::confused: but actually dates back to 2008, surely Labour could have restored that situation and/or look after the employment market in the UK and engaging to ensure that can be competitively priced.

How? How could the Labour government fix what the Tories did ten years previously? Because one thing you have to give the Tories credit for is their ability to really smash what they don't like.

So, ask yourself this. Which country has (still has), a very strong union movement, a government that can't defeat the unions so won't even try, a shipbuilding industry with a multi-billion euro forward order book, has the main assembly lines for Airbus, even though they are heavily unionised, and still has a considerable manufacturing base? Despite (!!??) the unions?

Errr, France!

Unions pricing ourselves out of business is symptomatic of the modern tory answer. A response that belongs from 4 decades ago, trying to revive the bogeyman of unionism because they have no answers to the current problems.

Oh yes, unions and Gordon Brown (he sold the gold you know) are responsible for everything.:facepalm:

johntheexpat said:
How? How could the Labour government fix what the Tories did ten years previously? Because one thing you have to give the Tories credit for is their ability to really smash what they don't like.

So on the one hand ten years is not enough you think. Yet on the other you complain that the tories can't fix the mess of labour in 18 months :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom